Dubai, United Arab Emirates — An Iranian official said Thursday that protests over the death of a woman detained by morality police had ended in Tehran, although anti-government slogans could be heard from windows and rooftops in parts of the country’s capital the night before. .

Iran has been rocked by nationwide protests earlier this month following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was detained by morality police for allegedly wearing the mandatory Islamic headscarf too loosely. Her death has sparked outrage among the country’s ruling clerics.

Iranian police have clashed with protesters in dozens of cities across the country, and authorities have imposed internet blackouts in an attempt to quell the protests.

State TV reported that at least 41 protesters and police have been killed since the protests began on September 17. Official statements from the Associated Press put the death toll at at least 14, with more than 1,500 protesters arrested.

Iran held the funeral of a policeman injured several days ago in the working-class village of Parand near Tehran.

Tehran’s provincial governor, Mohsen Mansouri, was quoted by state media as saying that protests in the capital had ended and security had been restored.

Authorities are still blocking access to WhatsApp and Instagram, social media services used by protesters to organize and share information. They are also heavily restricting internet access during the afternoon to prevent demonstrations from forming.

Protesters chanted “Death to the dictator” from inside buildings at night, making it difficult for police to arrest them. Students have continued to protest on the campuses of some universities, including Shiraz University in the south.

Journalist Elahe Mohammadi, who covered Amini’s funeral in the Kurdish city of Sakez earlier this month, has been arrested by authorities. She is among several journalists arrested after Amini’s death.

Police say Amini died of a heart attack after being taken into custody by ethics police and was not mistreated. Her family has questioned that account, saying they were told by other detainees that she was severely beaten. They also say that they were not allowed to see her body.

In a speech late on Wednesday, Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi again pledged to investigate her death but said authorities would not tolerate any threat to public safety.

In death, Amini has emerged as a symbol of resistance to Iran’s theocracy, which requires women to dress conservatively and cover their hair in public. Authorities have faced waves of protests in recent years, mostly related to a chronic economic crisis exacerbated by international sanctions.

Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian activist who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003, said the latest protests were different from previous protests, telling German broadcaster Deutsche Welle that “the state is likely to be overthrown.”

“Unlike previous protests, people are not passive. When they are beaten by the security forces, they retaliate by beating the security forces too,” said Ebadi, who fled the country in 2009 during an earlier crackdown on dissent.

She called on the international community to withdraw its ambassador from Iran and impose sanctions on those involved in the killing of protesters.

Iranian leaders have blamed the protests on unidentified foreign entities they say are trying to foment unrest. According to Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency, the Foreign Ministry summoned the French charge d’affaires on Thursday and accused French officials of interfering in Iran’s internal affairs by supporting the protests.

But Jomahouri Islami, a hardline newspaper, admitted in an editorial that the protests reflected genuine anger.

“Regarding the end of prohibition, the authorities should not think that the discontent is over and will not grow. The current situation is like an ember under the ashes, which can flare up again.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *